In 1907 Archbishop Bourne set up a home in Clapham for crippled boys from the slums and workhouses of the poorest parts of London in the Diocese of Westminster. This home was run by the Daughters of Charity and was known as St Vincent’s Home for Crippled Boys. Awful terminology but that was the language of the times!
In May 1912, following a search to re-locate to a more rural setting, 40 boys transferred from Clapham to St Vincent’s Eastcote, By 1926 St Vincent’s was a fully equipped hospital changing its name to St Vincent’s Orthopaedic Hospital. During the 1939-45 war the first major change occurred, St Vincent’s became a centre for the treatment of war casualties and adults were admitted. Bed numbers during the war went up to 209.
By 2000 it had a busy orthopaedic theatre, x-ray and out-patients department. It also provided physiotherapy. The wooden huts were gradually replaced with brick-built south-facing verandas.
Post 2000, it was clear that government policy meant that St Vincent’s had to close, and the Board of Trustees/Directors declared that they would do everything in their power to ensure that the tradition of St Vincent’s continued on the same site. It was agreed that a Nursing Home would be built, and that the reputation of St Vincent’s would be continued for a further 100 years. St Vincent’s re-opened as a Nursing Home in July 2006.
During their 111 years serving the people of Pinner, the Sisters were parishioners of St Luke’s RC Parish, and lived at the 3 different locations below:
1912-2023 St Vincent’s Orthopaedic Hospital, Pinner
2005-2019 Rendu House, Northwood Hills
2005-2023 Farmside Pinner
Now the time has come for the Sisters to say “Goodbye” and leave the area. There farewells were marked by TWO main celebrations:
FARMSIDE CELEBRATION: On 11th July 2023 Fr Paul Roche CM celebrated Mass in the Sister’s House for the twenty four Sisters able to attend, who had lived and worked in the area over the years. Sr Ellen Flynn, Provincial, spoke of the pioneering work of the Sisters initially in Clapham and then in Eastcote, Pinner. They had been much-loved – “good and faithful servants”!
ST LUKE’S PARISH CELEBRATION: On 15th September 2023 it was the turn of the parishioners to say their “Goodbyes” with a Mass of Thanksgiving and Farewell. Bishop John Sherrington was the main celebrant assisted by Fr Vincent Brady (PP), Fr Paul CM, Fr John, Fr Robert and Fr Bernard. Sr Ellen, spoke to the parishioners and thanked them for their love and support over the years. She told them that if we had new vocations and more Sisters we would not be leaving. She asked for prayers for the Daughters of Charity that more young women would hear the call to a life of service.
“For all that has been – THANKS! For all to come -YES!”